Becoming a Certified Flight Instructor is a great option for pilots looking to gain valuable experience. Flight Instructors not only prepare students of all levels for their pilot certificates, but also conduct flight reviews, proficiency checks, and ground training sessions.
Becoming a Certified Flight Instructor is a great option for pilots looking to gain valuable experience. Flight Instructors not only prepare students of all levels for their pilot certificates, but also conduct flight reviews, proficiency checks, and ground training sessions. Flight Instructor initial examiner fee is approximately $1,000. Fundamentals of Instruction (FOI) exam is also required for flight instructor initial rating and is approximately $165. This must be passed in addition to the Flight Instructor Airplane (FIA) written exam. Both the FOI and FIA are required to be completed prior to entering into instructor initial training program and the FIA prior to instructor add- on training program. FOI and FIA test prep are not included in CFI, CFII, MEI training programs, however may be added.
A Certified Flight Instructor Rating (CFI) introduces a pilot to flying from the right seat and performing all maneuvers above commercial pilot standards. Students will become proficient in instructing all maneuvers while performing them. A minimum of 250 hours are required to achieve the CFI rating in a single-engine aircraft.
• 6-week program.
• Example class times: Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 5 pm- 8 pm each day for the first 4 weeks for a total of 36 hours (although the exact schedule is subject to change to suit all students schedules best). Flight training during the final 2 weeks.
• Flight Training- 10 hours to be scheduled during the first few weeks of class to occur during the final 2 weeks of the class.
• Individual Flight Training Instructor time billed at the rate of $75/hour.
• Spin training/CFI endorsement with expert aerobatic instructor of $399.00 flat fee (1.5 hours of ground and 45 minutes- 1 hour in plane). This training will be invaluable.
• Aircraft rates billed at current standard hourly rates based on aircraft student selects (see for rates HTTPS://TAMPABAYAVIATION.COM/TAMPA-BAY-AVIATION-FLEET/).
• Payment of $1,980.00 (36 hours of ground school billed at $55.00/hour) must be received prior to first day of class. Balance of training paid as invoiced at each lesson.
• Estimated total course cost of $5,880.00. This assumes aircraft student selects for rental is $160.00/hour and no additional ground or flight training is sought. If additional individual training is required, it will be billed at the regular instructor rate of $75/hour and aircraft rates billed at current standard hourly rates.
A Certified Flight Instructor Instrument (CFII) rating is almost the same as the CFI rating, except this allows the instructor to teach students who are training toward an instrument rating.
The FAA does not require a minimum number of hours to get your flight instructor rating after obtaining your commercial rating, but we estimate it at about 10 hours.